Benefits and Side Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery
Gastric bypass surgery is a common and effective surgical method. Most people with severely high weight can successfully undergo gastric bypass surgery, and if you always follow your doctor’s instructions, you will not see any negative results.
Gastric bypass surgery is a surgical method that reduces the size of the stomach and connects it directly to the small intestine. This bypasses the elongated small intestine and reduces calorie and nutrient absorption. The smaller your stomach, the less you eat and the faster you feel full . Today we are going to learn about the benefits and side effects of gastric bypass surgery!
This surgery is effective for obese people who have tried diet but only get negative results. In addition, weight loss can be a solution to problems related to joints, lower back, blood circulation and overweight, so it is a highly recommended surgery even for highly obese people.
All surgical procedures carry secondary effects or risks, but when it comes to gastric bypass surgery, overweight-related diseases can occur if the operation is not performed. The Obesidad UC website states that gastric bypass surgery is the’most common obesity surgery in Chile and around the world ‘.
Obesidad UC said of the successful outcome of this surgery, “With a weight loss of 60-70% within one year, it has a very high success rate and significantly improves other related diseases . “
Benefits of gastric bypass surgery
- It is especially recommended for people whose body mass index exceeds a certain index and is at risk of serious health problems.
- It is a very effective surgery to combat obesity and has a short recovery period.
- Patients can lose weight by up to 70%. Typically, you lose weight over 6 to 12 months. However, many people continue to experience weight loss even after 24 months of surgery.
- The recovery period is short and there are no problems during recovery. Patients are usually discharged from the hospital 3 days later, and 8-10 days after surgery, they can lead a normal life.
- In addition to the positive results, gastric bypass surgery has become one of the most sought after by people who want to regain health as it is a safe and effective surgical method.
As with all surgical procedures, don’t forget that there may be short-term or long-term risks depending on the patient’s condition. Taking a gastric bypass is one of the best ways to lose weight effectively and safely.
The operation should be performed by an experienced surgeon who can advise the patient on appropriate eating and healthy lifestyle habits.
Read more: 3 mONTHS FAT LOSS AND MUSCLES
Side effects of gastric bypass surgery
Side effects occur when the patient does not follow the diet and instructions recommended by the doctor. The possible side effects are as follows.
1. nutritional deficiencies
After surgery, parts of the small intestine do not get essential nutrients (iron, calcium) and the body does not absorb them . Therefore, a lack of these nutrients can lead to other problems such as anemia and osteoporosis. It is important to take vitamins to provide nutrients.
Immunity can be weakened as the body does not get all the nutrients it needs, making it vulnerable to all infections .
3. Dumping syndrome
Dumping syndrome is a gastrointestinal problem that occurs about 20 minutes after eating. Fat from food that enters the intestine, causing convulsions and nausea. It can also cause irritation and cause problems such as convulsions and loose stool as the intestine suddenly enlarges .
Read more: 5 INGREDIENTS TO HELP IN MENOPAUSE
4. Bowel obstruction: side effects of gastric bypass surgery
The patient may experience severe cramps or abdominal pain with a feeling of constipation. During surgery, the doctor may inadvertently move a part of the intestine into an open space. However, it is unlikely that this mistake will occur.
Recommendations after surgery
- Eat a formula recommended by a healthcare professional . You should slowly add solid foods to your diet.
- All doctor’s instructions must be followed. If you follow your doctor’s instructions, your recovery will be faster and simpler.
- Due to changes in the digestive tract, vitamins and other nutritional supplements must be taken .
- Before undergoing surgery, you should be familiar with the relevant information. Similarly, doctors should study each specific case and recommend the best method.